Friday, January 6, 2012

#oneword 2012 : Achieve

This is my first blog post and I tried to get it together for reverbbroads 2011; I found it more difficult than I imagined to place my thoughts on "paper". So now it is 2012 and I am starting anew. Originally RENEW or anew was going to be my oneword. I am looking to redefine myself . I am looking to become a student affairs professional. I have been accepted to a Master's program in Higher Education. Great first steps.

But as I thought about it more I realized that I wanted the word to convey action, so WILL became my choice:

I WILL get a position as a Student Affairs Professional.
I WILL get my Master's in Higher Education
I WILL ........

Then I was watching Oprah's Lifeclass. There it was that I found my oneword and inspiration. A girl in Africa wanted to learn to read. But girls in Africa are not allowed in school. She learned to read and write by doing her brother's homework. She then wrote down her dreams and buried them. And then she ACHIEVED them. She came to America and got her Batchelor's degree, then her Master's degree and now her Doctorate. AND now she is building a school in her villiage so that other girls can learn.


a·chieve

[uh-cheev] Show IPA verb, a·chieved, a·chiev·ing.
verb (used with object)
1.
to bring to a successful end; carry through; accomplish: The police crackdown on speeders achieved its purpose.
2.
to get or attain by effort; gain; obtain: to achieve victory.
 
It is an action word; but it also has another component: SUCCESSFUL 
 
so not only WILL I do something, I WILL be SUCCESSFUL!!
 
ACHIEVE what a POWERFUL WORD................... 

1 comment:

  1. Great first blog post! Thanks for showing the process you went through to find your OneWord, it definitely is a process. Looking forward to reading more of your posts and following your OneWord journey this year.

    ReplyDelete